What It Is

It is a journey, a party, a job, a hobby, a life. And here it is, or at least a slice of it.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

In the meantime, Music

Since I can't practice surfing until Labor Day weekend, I have to continue on with my other main interest, which would be music. My currently unnamed band (we have played under the names "Fluid" and "Happy Shatner" within the last 6 to 8 years) is in rehearsals with a new drummer, and are in the process of completely revamping our setlist.
What that means is that we dumped about 2/3 of our songs and are learning a whole bunch of new stuff. Which means a lot of work.
See, we have always been a variety band. We have played everything from Merle Haggard to Tool, with the occasional blues tune, or 80s retro or whatever. Basically, we were a jack of all trades sort of band. But after an 8 or 9 month layoff after we lost our previous drummer, we're trying to get hooked up with a new booking agent who will get us into some of the better bars around town. What, exactly does that mean? It means dump everything that isn't rock, pretty much, which is fine with me, but, as I mentioned, will involve a lot of work.
We're spreading the list out over the rock tunes of the last decade or so, with some very current stuff like Green Day, Jet, and The Strokes bumping up against some Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz and whatnot. The Gin Blossoms snuck in there, as have Violent Femmes, Ramones, Black Crowes, Toadies, the Cure and quite a few others.
After we have a name and some bookings, I'll put up some show dates and keep you posted. Both of you.

laters, pretty people.

5 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger dave rich said...

Hey man, yea let me know! Im not sure if you would be interested, but Molly Maguires on a saturday night (the one on kuykendahl and 1960) has a pretty decent turn out when there is a band. I go there ALOT being as my 2nd love is ping pong and my 3rd is beer. Anyways, lemme know when you have some shows booked!

OHHH ps: keep your eyes on this TS moving through the eastern Carib. nhc.noaa.gov <---- watch here on there. She is projected to head right up the mouth of the Gulf last time I checked, and as long as she maintains her distance from us, we will be getting epic surf.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger dave rich said...

hey sorry thats
www.nhc.noaa.gov

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Link said...

Thanks, Dave, I've been wishing I could get down to the gulf and get wet before the weekend, but I'll have to wait. We have a hotel on the seawall for Friday and Saturday night, so I'm hoping that some of those waves will be left by Saturday. Either way, I'll get my feet wet and practice my paddling, etc. It would be nice to get some practice in waves that get a bit over ankle high.
I'll definitely let you know when we've booked some gigs. I expect it to be about 6 weeks. We have a lot of new songs to learn.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger dave rich said...

To reply to the question you asked, i think its pretty safe to say no. The hurricane needs to stay over open water for a period of time, to successfully generate a groundswell. Ernesto's path is directly over central Cuba, across the keys (barley 90 miles distance) and into southern Florida. That 90 mile gap is just not a big enough area to kick the groundswell up. Locally, there might be some good surfing, but for us, its doubtful. We could see a small swell, but Im stressing the word small and it may only be noticable to a bouy. The good news is, the surf has been waist high but choppy as hell all week, and they are predicting it to hold at least thigh to waist into the weekend. Thats great beginner stuff, hell almost perfect haha. Well, I look forward to hearing about your first time on a board, and get ready, because you are about to embark on a potentially life changing journey. I know it flipped mine 180 degrees haha.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Link said...

Dude, I'm practically crapping myself with excitement already, and you're not helping by whipping me into a frenzy even more! LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home